Y’all I am a BIG fan of meat. BIG FAN. I wouldn’t ever give it up or encourage anyone to give it up, but meat from good sources can be expensive. Most of the time, I do feel that the expense is totally worth it for total body health and taste.
I remember eating lots of Sloppy Joes growing up. Most likely because they were an easy meal for my mom to make. This Sloppy Lentil recipe is also a very easy dish to make. My family and I are on a limited budget and we attempt to go meatless at least one or two days a week. I typically look for great recipes with adequate protein. I also try to add in a little bit of animal fat here or butter in these recipes if I can to make sure my family gets the fat that it needs.
This sloppy lentil recipe is really simple, super tasty and fantastic. Since I am a mom of three and I am always on the go I look for really easy, tasty, nutritious and kid friendly recipes. My kids loved this recipe. This recipe might also be tasty on a sourdough roll, or on a sprouted grain tortilla. It’s also tasty simply all by itself with some cheese on top just like we ate it. Yum!
Tasty business my friends, this is tasty business.
Sloppy Lentil Recipe
2 cup lentils (I used the French orange lentils)
4 cups filtered water
1 medium chopped onion
2 tomatoes diced
3 cloves of garlic
3 T pastured butter (my favorite is Kerrygold)
1/2 cup organic ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1 T Chili powder
3 T Coconut Sugar
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1 T Coconut Oil
salt and ground pepper to taste
grated cheddar cheese for a topping
1. In the morning place lentils in a bowl along with the apple cider vinegar and sit in a warm spot to soak for a few hours.
2. Once you are ready to make your dish Rinse beans and place in a large, deep sauce pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil until lentils are tender and drain.
3. In another pan add coconut oil, tomatoes, and onions and saute until tender.
4. Add tomatoes, and onion mixture as well as the spices to the lentils and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
5. Serve with grated raw cheese on top.